Wednesday, June 4, 2008

{ Have you ever had one of those days....}

Meet Oliver (a few pounds ago, we have weight issues...).... and Bella...
when nothing seems to go your way...I am there and in order to release some of my stress, I must vent some. Lucky (or unlucky if you don't like to read) I am going to do in here. If you can hang on through the whole story, there is a prize for you at the end. Am I resorting to bribery....yes. yes I am. Now hang on, here we go............

My precocious son let our two rambunctious dogs out the back door this morning and they took there new found freedom and ran.....literally. Now I am going to draw you an ugly picture.....this isn't for the squeamish....picture it....me in my hot pink leopard print jammie shorts, bright orange Jimmy Buffett concert t-shirt and fire engine red slippers, 2 sizes to big....running down Huntington's main street, dog leashes flying and a toddler in tow. For those of you who know my dogs, Oliver, the beagle, is pleasantly plump to say the least, so I figured he would be an easy catch. He gets winded on our nightly walks around two blocks, now our baby Bella, she is young and quick, but in her defense is a mama's girl and always comes when called. Unless she is with Ollie, who my husband says is a nose on a leash, and if he catches a scent of something... he doesn't let up until he finds it, and Bella sticks by him like glue. Well Oliver must have had the scent of something because he took off with his nose to the ground and everytime he would stop to sniff a tree of bush or parked car and I would think "Aha...I've got them now..." the wind would blow and off they'd go. I would call to them and poor Bella looked so torn, I could see the little wheels turning in her head, " do I go to my mama who is calling me or keep following my best buddie Ollie, what to do." The taste of freedom must have been to great, because she kept turning and following her big brother. And Tate, my poor Tater, his little legs struggling to keep up with his crazy mom, who by this point had lost all composure on this misty morning and was flailing her arms around and making clicking noises, screaming Ollie, Bella...I am sure this story will be recounted later in his life. Probably on a psychiatrist couch....
Thirty minutes, that's right...thirty rain soaked minutes later my Bella finally came to me when I called. I don't know if she had finally just had enough or could see that I was going to have a break down right there in the middle of town in my pajamas and felt some sympathy...quite frankly I don't care what is was that made her come back to me, I was just relieved she did. Shortly after Ollie, who could not stand to see Bella receive all the attention and treats Tate and I were showering on her, reluctantly and with his head down waddled over to us. I clipped leashes on them and with as much composure as I could muster look my monsters home. The ironic thing about this whole story, my husband Bruce was at that very moment picking up the few last things we need to put our fence up this week. If only.....
So here I sit at work, late, make-up washed away by the rain, hair thrown up because it does not handle the the least bit of water well, trying to drown my stresses in my third cup of Jet Fuel. I am in desperate need of chocolate and yoga, these I feel are my best options for stress relief.
For those of you who held in to the end of this long post, thank you. As a reward for your dedication we are giving away a $25.00 Old Navy gift card. What do you have to do to enter this contest? Answer the following question, What do you do to relieve stress? ...that's it! Just leave a comment and a person will be drawn at random for the gift card. You have until Tuesday, June 10th....why so long...well we are on location Friday for a Portrait Party and won't be back until Tuesday. Good luck!

9 comments:

FROG PRINCESS said...

I TAKE AN ADULT HIP HOP CLASS. I AM NOT THE CUTIEST THING ON STAGE, BUT I DO IT FOR ME! I GET OUT OF THE HOUSE FOR ONE HOUR PER WEEK NO MATTER WHAT! I AM NOT AN AWSOME DANCER, I JUST DO IT FOR COMIC RELIEF. IF YOU CAN NOT LAUGH AT YOURSELF WHO CAN!! HAVE A GREAT DAY LADIES!

P.S ELIZABETH, I FEEL YOUR PAIN. I RAN ALL OVER THE CAMPUS OF BALL STATE WHEN I WAS IN COLLEGE. ALL FOR A DUMB DOG!!!

starfitch said...

Oh, Elizabeth!! You just gotta laugh. :-)

Before a toddler entered my life, I would take a bubble bath to relieve stress. Now, I love to make a cocktail on a nice summer night and sit on my neighbor's porch in the swings talking. I just love our neighborhood!

Oh, and I also love to shop to de-stress. :-)

The Carrels said...

Hey Elizabeth and Kim! Thanks so much for the fun party yesterday with Jessica and Marielle! Max and I had a great time and are very much looking forward to seeing all of the awesome photos!

Now as far as stress relief...it normally involves a good workout, then some chocolate! And if that doesn't work, a nice long shopping spree...you know, at Old Navy?!?!

Stephanie said...

Hi Kim and Elizabeth! I too can't wait to see the pictures from last Friday, thanks so much for being there. Anyway to relieve stress for me its running--always has been and always will be. Wine doesn't hurt either!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness--I totally know what you were going through!! You are better than me, though, because usually I give up and figure the dog (and/or cat in my house) will come home when they are hungry. :)

As for relieving stress, I shop!! I go alone, preferably at night, and preferably with a chocolate chip cookie in one hand and a diet coke in the other. I don't necessarily have to buy anything, but I love to just look at everything and I make a game about finding the best deal on an item.

Emily said...

Hey ladies! I am a friend of Jessica's who couldn't make it to the party on Friday because my little girl got sick. :(

Anyway, to destress, I generally watch TV. Pretty boring, I know, but just that time on the couch with no whining in the background, lying with my warm dog is heavenly.

Oh, and about your dogs. You are lucky you caught them. A friend of mine had a cornfield in her backyard and let her dog out one morning. The dog headed for the fields and never returned. She is still heartbroken to this day for her beloved "Bella." :(

IUgirl78 said...

Hi, ladies! It was so nice to meet you both on Friday. :)

You probably won't believe this, but I actually enjoy cleaning when I'm stressed. It helps give me time to think about things and then I feel better seeing things get accomplish.

But if cleaning is the source of the stress to begin with, then I just put in my favorite CD (say, Maroon 5) and crank up the volume!

Madeline Alexa & Lauren Wells said...

I sit on the patio with a glass of wine or I veg out in fron to f the computer. Naps are good too!

It was wonderful meeting youguys on Friday at Jessica's. I can't wait to see some pictures!

Lizzy said...

I always wonder if there is life after stress. I am not sure what I do to de-stress. I know that working on afghan's helps, also coming in and bugging y'all helps. I love to do that. :)